Walailak University held an opening ceremony of the academic conferences on School Botanical Garden and Local Resource Base organized as part of the 11th Academic Conference and Exhibition Thailand’s Resources: 30 Years, RSPG for Real Benefits to the Public.
On September, 2022, Walailak University held an opening ceremony of the academic conferences on School Botanical Garden and Local Resource Base organized as part of the 11th Academic Conference and Exhibition Thailand’s Resources: 30 Years, RSPG for Real Benefits to the Public. Prof. Dr. Sombat Thamrongthanyawong, Acting President of Walailak University, started off with an opening remark, followed by Prof. Dr. Thawatchai Supadit, Acting Vice President and Director of the RSPG-WU Coordinating Center, giving report on the event’s objectives. The opening received overwhelming interest from school administrators, teachers and students joining to learn and presenting achievements on School Botanical Garden as well as local government officials participating in the Local Resource Base event. Joining the event were also the RSPG Host Center and RSPG Coordinating Center affiliated with universities across Thailand, along with distinguished guests attended at the Sri Thammarat Conference Room, Architectural and Design Building, Walailak University.
Professor Dr. Sombat gave an opening remark enunciating Walailak University’s utmost gratitude for compassion of Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn for the people of the south and Walailak University. Walailak University has been operating in alignment with The Plant Genetic Conservation Project Under the Royal Initiative of H.R.H. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn (RSPG) since Fiscal year 2014 before being granted a royal permission to establish the RSPG-WU Coordinating Center on March 28th, 2019. In the first phase, of 5-Year RSPG Master Plan, Year 5, focuses on the basis of physical, biological and cultural resources as specified in the plan.
Professor Dr. Sombat reflected on his administration policies placed in compliance with the project by cooperating with the networks to conduct studies, develop a body of knowledge to provide academic services to local and international communities under the Royal Plant Genetic Conservation Project under the Royal Initiation of Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn (RSPG) in the upper southern region. The university is committed to disseminating such knowledge through networks and set a model for learning resources in promoting awareness of natural resource conservation and cultural wisdom.
Moreover, the university had been granted royal permission to host the 6th Academic Conference and Exhibition of Botanical Gardens, Schools and Local Resource Base at the regional level in 2020 on August 26th, 2020. However, the conference needed to be rescheduled due to the spread of COVID 19 until after the communicable disease situation has improved. Afterwards, the university received a royal permission from Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn to host an academic conference and exhibition in conjunction with the Royal Plant Genetic Conservation Project on November 30th, 2021.
By combining the 6th Academic Conference and Exhibition of Botanical Gardens, Schools, and Local Resource Bases at the Regional level together with the Academic Conference and Exhibition Thailand’s Resources: Real Benefits to the Public 2021”. Therefore, in 2022, “the 11th Academic Conference and Exhibition Thailand’s Resources: 30 Years, RSPG for Real Benefits to the Public” will be organized between 19th and 24th September 2022. The conference also commemorates the 30th Anniversary of the RSPG and 30th anniversary of Walailak University. More importantly, it is a beacon for dissemination knowledge and establish a correct understanding in implementing the policies and beliefs on RSPG in respect of the royal wish of Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn placing much significance on resource conservation.
“Love of resources is patriotism. it is equivalent to love of the land, to love what is our property. In order for the people to love his country or to preserve his property, there needs to be love and understanding. If no one knows each other, there will be no relationship. On the other hands, if ones know what it is or work with it, a sense of admiration will develop together with a sense of ownership. This will bring benefits.”
President of Walailak University emphasized at the end that Walailak University is committed to continuously climbing the progressive scales of development, academic enrichment and forging knowledge sharing networks of the RSPG in the upper southern region for youths, academics and other institutions including schools, and local government agencies.
In addition, the university endorses promotion of eco- and cultural tourism of Nakhon Si Thammarat Province and Thailand. Walailak University would like to thank and welcome all to the conference.
“I wish everyone joy in nurturing ideas, guidance, work processes and collecting experiences from the 11th Academic Conference and Exhibition Thailand’s Resources: 30 Years, RSPG for Real Benefits to the Public as much as you can in order to integrate it into your work for optimal thinking and work processes,” said Prof. Dr. Sombat. President also thanks the teachers representing the schools on School Botanical Garden and Local Resource Base, Faculty of Science and Technology Operations Association, including those who attended the presentation of their work and all those who participated in this event.
Prof. Dr. Thawatchai Supadit said,” as the director of the RSPG-WU Coordinating Center. I am grateful for the compassion and commitment of Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn. Walailak University is honored to host the 11th Academic Conference and Exhibition Thailand’s Resources: 30 Years, RSPG for Real Benefits to the Public between 19th and 24th September 2022. Purposes of the conference including:
1) to honor Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn for her role in continuing the royal wish of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej to conserve the country's resources and in service of His Majesty King Ramathibodi Srisin Maha Vajiralongkorn Phra Wachiraklao Chao Yuhua
2) To present the works of the RSPG and the agencies involved in the Royal Initiative in any regions which has been in operation for 30 years
3) to provide youths, the public, academics, the private sector and policy makers an insight into the benefits of the RSPG operation which creates awareness of the conservation of Thai resources
4) To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the foundation of Walailak University in a form of meetings and exhibitions as follows:
1) Academic Conference featuring sessions of academic conferences on school botanical gardens. There will be four special lectures, 22 presentations, and 8 presentations made by students. The conference on local resource bases was joined and presented by administrators and academics of local government organizations having been awarded the Certificate for the Local Resource Base Work, Rank 1 and the royal initiative endorsement Rank for those engaging in the local resource base works, totaling 13 works, the 10th Academic Conference of the RSPG Innovation Association presenting 101 articles. The conference was joined by presenters from 30 agencies
2) The exhibition “30 Years, RSPG for Real Benefits to the Public” featuring RSPG exhibitions on important achievements such as Princess Conservationist, the 7th 5-year master plan and the RSPG-WU 30 years of Walailak University divided into 4 sub-exhibitions on Khao Luang microorganisms, Properties of one’s lands, Benefit to the Public, Nipa Palm, Fertility of River Basin for the benefits to the public, blue crabs, marine resources, increasing resources for the benefit to the public, limitless potentials, Arts and culture, Integration of Nakhon Arts for benefits to the public, the exhibition of 76 school botanical gardens, 25 exhibitions on local resource bases, and exhibitions by 126 royal initiative agencies across the country.
The Director of the RSPG-WU Coordinating Center stated that in addition to academic conferences and exhibitions, there are also performances of the southern folk art and performances by members of the School Botanic Garden Exhibition, food and local products booths between18-24 September 2022.
Furthermore, there is also the Southern Local Product Fair exhibiting more than 100 items, from September 15th to 24th, 2022. In this event, it is expected that there will be participants from the Royal Initiative agencies across regions and government agencies from all sectors of Nakhon Si Thammarat Province, estimated to be 5,000 people per day.
After that, the participants attended a special lecture on Thai Resources: 30 Years, Walailak University by Prof. Dr. Sombat Thamrongthanyawong, Acting President of Walailak University, a special lecture on Thai Resources: 30 Years of RSPG, Real Benefits to the Public by Mr. Pornchai Jutamas, Deputy Director of the Plant Genetic Conservation Project Under the Royal Initiative of H.R.H. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn talking about the role of the Host Centers and Coordinating Centers by Dr. Piyarat Parinyapong Charoensap, Assistant to the Director of the Plant Genetic Conservation Project, Level 9, and presentations of academic results from schools and local government organizations across the country.
Written by Chonthicha Limpiti
Translated by Nootchanat Sukkew
Division of Corporate Communication